Thursday, December 2, 2010

November Roundup

Time to reflect on the past month! November FLEW by so fast and I can't believe it is already December. Here is a summary of November musings, activities, and other random stuff.

1. I am trying to accept that "mommy guilt" is just an innate part of being a mom. I definitely struggle with this, though it ebbs and flows. At the same time, it is also a measure for me. When the guilt starts growing, I know it's time to slow down and prioritize. I just try to remind myself that I can choose to allow the guilt to eat at me or I can choose to use it as a guide to shift gears a little.

2. Pea has started showing an interest in watching Scooby Doo lately, which means straying from Nick Jr. Which means...COMMERCIALS. I.HATE.COMMERCIALS. Thanks to commercials, pea thinks he needs a cotton candy maker. We try to stick to watching shows on the DVR so we can skip through the commercials, but that doesn't always work out. And, yes, I shamefully admit we have been watching waaaay too much TV lately.

3. A few weeks ago, I volunteered at Challenge Day at our local high school. It was amazing. Every high school should do this. If your high school participates in Challenge Day, it is sooo worth being a volunteer. Check it out
HERE. I spent 6 hours with 16 and 17 year old kids grappling with some really tough issues and I was blown away by their courage, resiliency, compassion, and willingness to take a stand. It was awesome and I learned so much from them.

4. A few months ago, pea started chewing his fingernails. Not sure why. I then discovered that he was also chewing his toenails. Gross, right? I have not trimmed his toenails or fingernails in months! I learned that he chews his toenails in bed before he falls asleep. Every time I would ask him why he chews his nails, he just shrugged his shoulders so I let it go. The other night I decided to ask him again and he told me he chews them to "get the bugs off." Yes, he thinks he has bugs on his nails and he needs to chew them off.

5. I really hate the "rivalry" between moms who stay-at-home and moms who work outside of the home. I really, really hate it. You all know what I am talking about. We are all doing the best we can so why does it need to be this way? We need to support one another, regardless of our situation.

6. I have learned that you absolutely cannot reason with a screaming, out-of-control child. If fact, saying anything is enough to escalate the situation. Deep breaths. Wait it out. Be there to give hugs when the time is right.

7. Never place a mug of coffee on top of an icy car roof. It inevitably leads to a very cranky morning.

8. I have truly been amazed with myself at how patient and calm I have been waiting for "the call." Seriously!! Of course, I have had a few anxious moments, but they are usually fleeting. I assumed I would be a crazy, anxious, stressed out mess waiting, but I know the call will come at the most perfect time and I feel freakishly calm...most of the time. :)

How was your November? Check out more monthly wrap-ups HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness, you are do some amazing blogging over here! I was coming back over to try and catch up on some of your other posts. Confession: Sometimes I come over and read, but don't comment! egads!! I know! But, I am usually "sneaking on" during work hours! tee hee hee

    I think you are an amazing mom and a very awesome person, I am very glad we are blog friends, doubly glad we met and spent oh too few hours together and I am thrilled that you are so calm (most of the time) during your wait. You are on my mind a lot - both with Eli's growing and understanding and preparing for "the change!" and also for your own wait and all that comes with it - so when you "pop in" into my mind, I say a little prayer for you (did you just sing that part? I LOVE that song, "I say a little prayer for you, forever, and ever....) Anyway, I digress!

    You're awesome and I love your new blog and all the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't clipped my 5 1/2-year-old's fingernails in YEARS. She just likes to chew them. Then she cries when she hurts herself. But still, she chews. Short of duct-taping mittens to her hands, I see no way to prevent it.

    And mommy guilt. Oy. That's all I can say.

    ReplyDelete